Last week we had another break from usual client projects. Instead, the main topic for all the week has been web scraping and APIs. These topics were taught to us by Andre. This, of course, was a big hint on what to expect for the Friday project presentation session. In fact, last week, my fellow DSers and I have been given the task to produce a visualisation based on data obtained by either web scraping a site or API calls.
Last week DS 13 has got a break from client project, so our Friday activity consisted of a dashboard project, as it has been during the first month of Data School. The project consisted of analysing the data that Andy downloaded from his Strava Account. Over 1400 sports activities during a 7 years time-span.
During one of our client projects, we were given a challenge, which consisted of merging 2 different shapefiles, in order to visualise them in Tableau. These files corresponded to the same area, one containing the other (e.g Counties within Regions). In this blog post, I will describe this process, using Italian Regions and Provinces (sub-areas of Regions).
Last week I wrote a blog post in which I explained the work that my fellow DSers and I have carried out for our first client project at the Data School. This week, instead I will focus on the difficulties I have encountered during our second client project and how these reflected in my actual presentation.
Last Friday, I and my fellows DSers presented our first client project since the beginning of our studies. So far, every Friday, we had the opportunity to watch DS12 client project presentations, while we would produce a presentation based on some data provided by our coaches, but not linked to any specific client. Hence, this represented an important milestone for our cohort, from now on this will become our weekly routine.
This Tuesday I undertook and successfully passed the Tableau QA exam. In this post, I would like to explain the process, as it may help future candidates.
Last Friday’s project challenged us to practice the two main topics covered during week 4, Table Calculation in Tableau and Macros in Alteryx. The task aim was to reproduce as many table calculations as possible in Alteryx, transforming them in dynamic macros. In this post, I would like to show the calculations I've managed to... Continue Reading →
A parameter is a user-generated list of values which may or may not be present in the original dataset. The first time I built one, I could not understand their functioning. In fact, if you only create a parameter, all you get is a dropdown of values which do not affect anything in the... Continue Reading →